Mar 19, 2012

Routine Maintenance

Today, at 300 200 km, I took the car in for a 300 000 km service.

New spark plugs (NGK BP6ES), oil (Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40) + filter, and fuel filter.

Really rubbish weather outside, so I'm unable to test whether any of this had any impact on the high-rpm misfire I'm having, but we'll see.

Changing the fuel filter was a bitch. I'm glad I was only observing. The nuts were basically welded shut with rust, but eventually they let go.

The old oil (LiquiMoly 5W-30) looked terrible. It was as black as you would expect after 11k, but it was also really really thin, it was like water. I'd decided in advance to switch to a heavier oil and now I'm really glad I did. A slightly heavier oil should work better with particularly Mercedes hydraulic lifters.

The NGK BP6ES spark plugs are a perfect fit for the Mercedes M117 engine.  They work like a charm. Even better all-around spark plug than the Bosch ones. And they are dirt cheap - 2,40 EUR a piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment